DELAWARE COUNTY, Penn. — The baby who inspired his parents to create a bucket list before his birth arrived into the world Thursday morning. Shane Michael Haley was born at 2:25 a.m., according to a post on the Prayers for Shane Facebook page.
The message “Happy birthday to our little man!” along with four photos were posted overnight.
Shane’s parents made national headlines this year when they completed a “bucket list” of places they wanted to take Shane. The couple finished the list before Shane’s birth because doctors told them baby Shane a terminal neural tube defect called anencephaly. The condition causes babies to be born without parts of their brain and skull.
The life expectancy for newborns with anencephaly ranges from hours to days, the Haleys said.
“We are asking for your prayers and support and that God grants us as much time as possible with our beautiful son,” they wrote on Facebook.
The Haleys finished the bucket list on September 6.
Here is what was on Shane’s bucket list:
- Cape May County Park Zoo in Cape May, NJ
- Philadelphia Zoo
- Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ
- 9/11 memorial in New York City
- Statue of Liberty
- Empire State Building
- Times Square
- Central Park
- Strasberg Rail Road near Lancester, PA
- Beach in Wildwood, NJ
- Beach in Cape May, NJ
- Rehoboth Beach in Delaware
- Dewey Beach in Delaware
- Phillies game
- Philadelphia Flyers game
- Meet the Phillies
- Meet Flyers (including Claude Giroux)
- Dad’s Delco league baseball games (championship)
- Ocean City, MD boardwalk and games (old time photo)
- Rides at the pier in Wildwood, NJ (including Ferris wheel)
- Shrine of St. John Neumann in Philadelphia
- Shrine at St. Rita church in Philadelphia
- Geno’s Steaks in Philadelphia
- Spruce Street Harbor Park in Philadelphia
- Zac Brown Band concert
- Linvilla Orchards in Media, PA
- Uncle Jim’s baseball game at Penn State
- Ashbridge Memorial Park in Bryn Mawr, PA
- Cape May Lewes Ferry in Lewes, DE
- Franklin Institute in Philadelphia