Relative, alert neighbors lead firefighters to unconscious woman

Posted at 9:21 PM, Feb 27, 2014
and last updated 2014-02-28 00:15:16-05

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) -- Fire crews say a worried relative and concerned neighbors led helped them save a woman from an apartment fire Thursday evening.

The Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services were called to the 4000 block of Hailey Crescent Dr.  around 5:15 p.m.

A worried relative called 911 after she was unable to get in touch with the woman on the phone. Around the same time, neighbors heard a smoke alarm sounding and tried to get into the victim's  apartment.

When fire crews arrived, a police officer broke down the smoke-filled apartment's door. That's when first responders spotted the victim lying in the floor and quickly got her out.

The victim was rushed to VCU Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Fire crews discovered a pan on the stove has sparked a small fire, producing heavy smoke throughout the apartment. It only took crews about 10 minutes to mark the incident under control.

"If it were not for a concerned relative and alert neighbors reacting to the sound of the smoke alarms this incident could have had a tragic outcome," Lt. Jason Elmore said in a news release.

Fire officials said this incident serves as a good reminder to make sure you have a working smoke detector in your home.