Fire leaves Chesterfield family homeless

Posted at 11:47 AM, Mar 06, 2013

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) — A family of six is homeless after a Tuesday night fire in Chesterfield.

Chesterfield Fire Lt. Jason Elmore said  the fire happened at 1912 Knollwood Drive just before 8 p.m.

Fire crews found heavy smoke coming from the front door and a bedroom window when they arrived. It took the firefighters about 30 minutes to knock down the flames and mark the fire under control.

Elmore said the family had safely made it out of the home before crews arrived. No one was injured and the Red Cross is helping the family.

Chesterfield County fire marshals, who determined the fire was accidental, said the blaze was caused by combustible materials being too close to a heat source.