News

Actions

Investigators: Chesterfield apartment blaze sparked by cigarette

Default-Image_1280x720.jpg
Posted at 5:25 PM, Apr 18, 2012
and last updated 2012-04-18 17:25:43-04

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) – Firefighters said Wednesday that an improperly discarded cigarette sparked a two-alarm fire at a Chesterfield apartment complex over the weekend.

The fire at the Vinings Apartments displaced more than 30 people Saturday morning.

Investigators think a cigarette, which was tossed outside one of the apartment buildings, started the fire that spread to the building.

This is one of eight fires Chesterfield firefighters have responded to since January that was sparked by improperly discarded smoking materials. Those fires have resulted in nearly $2 million in damage.

One resident suffered a minor injury and was treated on the scene. Additionally, a firefighter was transported to the hospital after a roof collapsed, but he was later released.

RELATED: