RICHMOND, Va. -Today, certified health coach Erika Schlick shares her delicious and easy-to-make paleo banana nut bread recipe that’s gluten-free, grain-free and free of refined sugar. To learn more about Erika, her journey, and her health resources, visit her website.
Blueberry lemon loaf
butter or coconut oil, for greasing
2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
1 cup fresh blueberries
COCONUT LEMON GLAZE
1/2 cup coconut butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2-4 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. For the blueberry lemon loaf, preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with butter or coconut oil.
2. Whisk the almond flour with the cassava flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest in a medium bowl.
3. Mix the eggs with the butter, honey, lemon juice, and lemon extract (if using) in a stand mixer or large bowl. While the mixer is moving, slowly add the almond mixture until a smooth batter is formed.
4. Once combined, fold in the blueberries. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake for 20 minutes and then check to make sure the loaf is not browning too much. If it is, cover with foil. Bake for another 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
5. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing it. Once removed, allow to cool completely.
6. For the coconut lemon glaze, combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of the water, and the lemon juice in a food processor or blender, and pulse until smooth. Add more water if you want a thinner consistency.
7. Top the loaf with the coconut lemon glaze and allow it to harden before slicing.