RICHMOND, Va. - Soup is a staple during this time of year and Mary Rapoport of the Virginia Egg Council doesn’t disappoint. Today, she shares her delicious avgolemono soup recipe! You can find the recipe below or find more “eggcellent” ideas on their website.
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 ½ cups butternut squash, cooked and cubed
- ½ cup Baby Bella mushrooms washed and sliced
- 2 cups kale (or arugula) rinsed
- In a large saucepan, season stock with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer 1 cup hot stock to a blender. Add ½ cup of the cooked rice, egg yolks, whole egg, and lemon juice and puree until smooth.
- Stir the puree into the simmering stock along with the chicken and remaining 1½ cups rice, cooked butternut squash, mushrooms, and greens, and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with an extra squeeze or two of lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper.