NewsNational News


2nd arrest made in murder of Barnard College student Tessa Majors

Posted at 3:11 PM, Feb 17, 2020

NEW YORK – A second arrest has been made in connection to the Dec. 11 deadly stabbing of Barnard College student Tessa Majors in New York City, authorities announced Saturday.

A 14-year-old boy was taken into custody without incident, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said. It is believed he is the suspected stabber in the incident. He faces two counts of second-degree murder, one count of robbery and three counts of second-degree robbery, according to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance.

The teen, identified as Rashaun Weaver, is being charged as an adult and will be held at an undisclosed, age-appropriate juvenile facility.

According to Vance, the suspected stabber made a recorded statement regarding the incident and there was substantial blood analysis in the case.

In terms of other suspects possibly involved, authorities said an active investigation remains ongoing.

On the evening of Dec. 11, Majors was walking through Morningside Park when several individuals attacked and stabbed her, according to NYPD Chief of Detectives Rodney Harrison. After the attack, she stumbled up a flight of stairs to street level before collapsing at a security booth near campus, according to Harrison. A school security officer called 911.

Her last words were "Help me, I'm being robbed," according to Vance. Her death has since been ruled a homicide.

A 13-year-old boy was previously charged in family court in connection to Majors’ death, though he is not accused of stabbing her.

The 13-year-old told police one of his friends grabbed Majors from behind and another friend stabbed her before taking items from her pockets, officials said. He is accused of picking up the knife after his friend dropped it.

Another 14-year-old boy was questioned several days after Majors’ death, but he was later released without charges, police said.

Following the stabbing, residents of the community called for beefed-up patrol and improved lighting at the park.

NYPD Chief of Patrol Fausto Pichardo said additional resources have been deployed to both sides of Morningside Park, and Harrison said the investigation and patrol has been "all hands on deck” following the incident.

Watch the video below as authorities made an announcement in connection to the Tessa Majors case. Click here if you cannot access the video.

This story was originally published by Nicole Johnson, James Ford and the digital staff at WPIX.