RICHMOND, Va. -- A large-scale COVID-19 testing day will take place in Petersburg on Saturday May 23.
The testing will be done by appointment only at the Petersburg Sports Complex at 100 Ballpark Road in Petersburg.
Testing is for persons age 5 and older who have COVID-19 symptoms, have been in contact with someone with COVID-19, are pregnant, have underlying medical conditions that put them at risk, are age 65 and older or work in a congregate setting.
Anyone who would like to be tested must call 804-863-1652 and select option 1 in advance for a screening interview.
Those that meet pre-screening requirements for testing will receive an appointment time.
To avoid lengthy wait times, please come to the site at your appointed time.
Symptoms of COVID-19 may include fever, cough, shortness of breath, flu-like symptoms, muscle pain, and new loss of taste or smell.
Most patients with COVID-19 have mild to moderate symptoms. However, in a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions.
COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms appear within 14 days of being exposed to an infectious person.
Virginia health officials urged the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.Avoid non-essential travel.