NewsLocal News


Police change status of Chesterfield dad’s death investigation following CBS 6 report

Posted at 5:50 PM, May 23, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-23 23:59:49-04

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. -- Police have changed the status of Chesterfield dad Nick Clavier's death investigation. The case status has been changed to pending after a months-long investigation by CBS 6 reporter Laura French uncovered inconsistencies in the case.

"[Chesterfield Police Chief] Colonel Dupuis has asked for a review of the case in light of new statements," Chesterfield Police Records Administrator Karen Leonard said. "Therefore, we have changed the status of the case from Cleared to Pending while we investigate further."

Clavier died from a gunshot wound to the head that he suffered while taking his children on a fishing trip back on October 24, 2015.

They were driving in the 8700 block of Hull Street Road, when his 11-year-old daughter Mikayla said someone pulled up next to the family's car and shot her father.

Nick Clavier and family

But after an investigation, Chesterfield County Police determined that Nick shot himself after his own gun accidentally discharged.

Nick's widow, Melody Clavier, said she requested detectives re-interview the children and continue investigating the case, but they said they did not want to traumatize the kids.

Melody lost hope, until December 2016 when ballistics came back on the bullet recovered from Nick’s brain.

"The markings indicate that it could not have been fired from the .380 pistol recovered from the vehicle," Melody read from the report. "Makes it impossible to exclude homicide," she continued reading from the report.

Our report led to messages from viewers who were the first to aid the kids the day of the accident.

One of those witnesses met with investigators Monday and says she informed them that the kids stated from the very beginning someone shot their dad.

Nick Clavier

Melody learned Tuesday police would change the status of her husband's case.

'I don’t think we could have gotten to the point now without you guys. The publicity is what triggered the first responders to even know to come forward,” she said.

Melody said she wish police would have made the decision sooner, but she is grateful that they are willing to take a second look.

“They said their number one priority is to find the truth. I do thank them for at this point being willing to go ahead and take a deeper look into things,” she said.

Detectives have also agreed to re-interview Mikayla.

CBS 6 was there Tuesday when she received the good news about the case status.

“It feels like a whole lot has been lifted. Like I feel so much more better,” she said. “I hope that they find what they need to solve the case and that they find the person who did this."


Mikayla said her dad would be proud of her.

“He would say ‘I’m so proud of you for doing this. You’re going to make such a big difference in the world.'” said Mikayla.

Melody said since our story aired she's seen a huge change in Mikayla. She said her daughter finally feels like she is being heard and vindicated.

Police encourage anyone who may have information on this case to call Crime Solvers at 804-748-06-60.

Watch Laura French's investigation update tonight on CBS 6 News at 6 and 11.