Cigarette on back deck blamed for Mechanicsville house fire

Posted at 3:30 PM, Sep 02, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-02 15:30:04-04

HANOVER COUNTY, Va. – Officials have released the cause of the house fire in Mechanicsville that displaced a family of four earlier this week.

Fire investigators say crews were dispatched just after noon Tuesday to the house fire in the 7000 block of Trumpetvine Lane.

When crews arrived on the scene, firefighters found a two story home with heavy fire coming through the roof.

Firefighters knocked out the fire within a matter of minutes and made sure everyone made it out safely.

No one was injured.

“The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental as a result of an improperly discarded cigarette on the back deck on the home,” Hanover Fire and EMS Battalion Chief Jason Williams said.

Officials urged the public to make sure they completely put out cigarettes.

“Do this every time. Don’t walk away from lit cigarettes and other smoking materials,” Williams said. “Put water on the ashes and butts to make sure they are really out before you put them in the trash.”

The CBS 6 Problem Solvers are Working For You.

Contact the CBS 6 Problem Solvers

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.