RICHMOND, Va. - In just a few short weeks, area students will be back in school. Our friend David Hicks from BJ’s Wholesale Club joined us in the studio this morning to share a few allergy-free snack options to pack in your kids lunch boxes this school year. David also shared recipes for healthy and allergy friendly snack foods, including Cinnamon Toast Chicks and Fiesta Dip. For more information you can visit www.BJs.com
Cinnamon Toast Chicks
· 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and dried completely
· 2 tablespoons avocado oil
· ½ teaspoon kosher salt
· ¼ cup Wellsley Farms Organic cane sugar
· 2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
· Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
· In a large mixing bowl, toss the dried chickpeas with oil and salt. Pour onto a large rimmed nonstick baking sheet. Reserve the bowl.
· Roast the chickpeas on the middle oven rack for 15 minutes.
· Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar together; blend well and set aside.
· After 15 minutes, carefully remove baking sheet. Return chickpeas to large mixing bowl. Add sugar mixture and toss until the chickpeas are well coated. Pour back onto baking sheet, return to oven and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes until they are a deep golden color, being careful not to burn them.
**Please prepare this dish in advance for display. Lineup and talk about the ingredients and ease of putting this together.
· 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
· 1 teaspoon kosher salt + one pinch (divided)
· 3 ripe avocados
· ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
· ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
· 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
· 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
· Juice of two limes (about ¼ cup)
· Fill the bottom of a stockpot with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, cover and steam for 7-8 minutes until tender. Remove from heat. Drain, return to pot and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Set aside to cool to room temperature, or refrigerate until ready to use.
· Meanwhile, halve, seed and scoop flesh from avocado into a large mixing bowl. Add cilantro, red onion, pepper, tomato and a pinch of salt to taste. Mash with a potato masher or fork to desired consistency.
· Stir in cauliflower and lime juice. Mix well and adjust seasoning.
· Serve with corn tortilla chips.