NewsLocal News

Actions

‘It was a total loss,’ Mineral fire destroys family home and livelihood

Posted at 12:35 AM, Feb 23, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-23 08:22:44-05

LOUISA COUNTY, Va. -- A Louisa family is struggling to pick up the pieces after fire destroyed their Mineral home fire over the weekend. The blaze, believed to be caused by faulty wires in the back of the house, also destroyed the family’s ability to make a living.

"It was a total loss," homeowner Josh Bavetz said.

Bavetz is a professional DJ. He stored most of his equipment in the home. His wife Stephanie has run a successful home daycare business for the past two years.

Louisa home 2

“It was a total loss,” said homeowner Josh Bavetz.

The couple is now staying in a hotel with their seven and two-year-old daughters, while they figure out a more permanent housing arrangement.

The American Red Cross is offering temporary assistance. Several people in the community have reached out to help the family in any way they can.

“The most overwhelming feeling is knowing we have support,” a tearful Stephanie Bavetz said. “I don’t know what we would do if we didn’t have that from everybody.”

Parents Louisa

Josh and Stephanie Bavetz and their daughter

While the family said their material loses were great, they remained thankful that no one, including beloved family pets, were harmed.

The family was not home at the time of the fire, but a neighbor was able to free the family’s dogs from the back porch, while firefighters located and resuscitated the family cat.

The couple said they were trying to maintain a sense of normalcy for their young daughters, but feared an uncertain future at this point. A GoFundMe page has been set up to assist the family.