NewsNational News

Actions

5-year-old Louisiana girl saves blind grandmother from fire

Default-Image_1280x720.jpg
Posted at 9:29 PM, Feb 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-20 21:34:31-05

KENNER, La. — A child’s memory can be an amazing — and, in this case — lifesaving thing.

Recalling a fall field trip to a firehouse with her prekindergarten class, 5-year-old Cloe Woods saved her blind grandmother from a fire inside their Kenner, Louisiana, home, a fire official in that New Orleans suburb said Saturday.

Kenner Fire Department District Chief Patrick Ardeneaux told CNN that Woods heard a smoke detector go off around 7 a.m. Wednesday, then went into another bedroom and woke up her blind grandmother.

The 5-year old then led her grandmother outside and to a neighbor’s house where they dialed 911, according to Ardeneaux.

Police and firefighters took it from there, working together to extinguish the blaze that they believe was sparked by food left on a stove.

Ardeneaux, the Kenner district fire chief, recalled that his department hosted Woods’ class during a field trip in October.

“All the schools come to the fire house, we show them around, give them a safety talk,” he said. “It just happened to stick with this one little girl.”

The school set up a GoFundMe page to help the family.