RICHMOND, Va. – It is the homestretch of the nine-day UCI Road World Championship event, but things are really cranking up for racers, who will cycle their longest distance yet and make the most extreme climbs.
Today is the last race and the Men’s Elite race starts at University of Richmond, just ahead of completing 16 laps around the River City, tackling Libby Hill cobbles and the thigh-burning, 300-meter finish up Governor’s Street.
The Men’s Elite Road Circuit runs from 9 a.m. to 3:40 p.m.
Fan zones: Libby Hill, 23RD and Franklin Street, 5th and Broad Street, 12th and Broad Street, and FanFest at 3rd Street at Marshall St.
The FanFest exhibition center will be open from 11 - 5 p.m. today. It is your last chance to watch the winners ride in and pick up tons of free stuff being handed out by vendors. That's including a free tattoo if you sign up early enough, from 12 - 3 p.m. or a free screenprinted Richmond tote bag by Studio 23, all at the Visit Richmond booth. There are tons of other local goodies as well.
Many locals have also set up pop-up shops on Broad and Marshall that have great items for sale.
University of Richmond roads
Three Chopt Road
Cary Street Road
W. Cary Street,
E. Broad Street
W. Broad Street
N. Belvidere Street
W. Franklin Street
N. Lombardy Street
W. Main Street
N. 15th Street
N. 29th Street
E. Franklin Street
N. 25th Street
N. 18th Street
Neighborhoods affected: Near West End, Fan, Broad Street, downtown, Shockoe Bottom, and Church Hill.
From Sunday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- I-95 north/south Exit 74C to Broad Street (closed to westbound traffic)
- Continuous closure Sept. 19-27
- I-95 south Exit 74B ramp to Franklin Street will be closed
Drivers are encouraged to use the following alternate routes:
- To the Medical College of Virginia (MCV) area: Take Exit 75 (I-64 east/3rd Street).
- To the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) campus/Fan area: Take Exit 78 (the Boulevard) south to Cary Street (Route 147).
- To the Capitol area: Take Exit 73 (Maury Street) and follow the posted detour.
- To Shockoe area: From I-95 north, take Exit 74C (E. Broad Street).
CROWDS, EXPECT THEM
Maybe now you understand why the crowds are expected to spike. There is some serious cycling ahead.
Use your options. There has been ample amounts of parking downtown, if exiting off of Third Street, head to Leigh, turn left and park near the back of the Coliseum for free.
Organizers suggest those driving in for the races should use remote parking and take a shuttle to the races. Parking, at $10 a day, must be reserved in advance, through 2015worlds.clickandpark.com.
Daily access to satellite lots will begin at 7 a.m. and will continue until 11 p.m. (move it or get towed).
Daily shuttle service to satellite lots will begin two hours prior to race events and will cease operation two hours after the podium ceremony. Not every lot will be active on every day.
Shuttles from all satellite lots will pick up and drop off spectators near the intersection of 2nd Street and Canal Street downtown, where an event information kiosk will be available.
|Date||Primary Lot||Secondary Lot||Tertiary Lot||Service Start Time||Service End Time||Lots Close|
|25-Sep||City Stadium||Diamond||N/A||8AM||6:50 PM||11:00 PM|
|26-Sep||City Stadium||Diamond||Anthem||7AM||6:25 PM||6:30 PM|
|27-Sep||City Stadium||Diamond||Anthem||7AM||5:40 PM||11:00 PM|
While Fan Zones offer restrooms, beer, food, views and Jumbotrons, here are some additional spots along the course that offer great views:
- Broad Street between Belvidere and 2nd Streets
- Monroe Park
- Monument Avenue
- Corner of Lombardy and Main Streets
- Virginia Capital Trail on Dock Street
- Governor Street
KNOW WHERE TO FIND THE FOOD TRUCKS
There will be 41 food trucks at the Richmond 2015 UCI Road World Championship Races. Now there are four locations where you can find them.
The locations are:
- 5th and Broad Street, where the start and finish line is located
- Governor Street and Broad Street. There will be some food trucks in the beer garden, and other between 11th and 12th Streets.
- Franklin and 23 Street
- Libby Hill Park
The printable version for shuttle information is here: SHUTTLE SCHEDULE AND SATELLITE PARKING
The WTVR.com/UCI page is where all bike-race related stories land.
- UCI PICS: How to share your race pics
- Parking rates slashed after city streets aren’t clogged up by race
- How Boston Marathon bombing shaped security for UCI races in Richmond
- Watch UCI races without leaving the house
- Where to find the 41 Richmond food trucks and get beer at UCI races
- Visit Kings Dominion for free on the day a UCI race starts there
- How to grab the best view during UCI Road World Championship races
- Times, closures, fan zones and courses for Richmond 2015 bike races
- Family guide for Richmond 2015 UCI Road World Championship races
- Richmond events surrounding the UCI Road World Championships
- These four city blocks along Broad Street are closing, don’t freak out
- How to get to Richmond 2015 via vehicle, shuttle, bike or mass transit
- Why Pop-Up RVA signs are popping up in empty downtown storefronts
- Temporary foot bridges up at VCU ahead of UCI Road World Championships
- Richmond 2015 bike race unlimited GRTC bus pass now on sale
- MAPS: A look at the 2015 UCI Road World Championships routes through Richmond