RICHMOND, Va - Culinary Expert Gabrielle Tenney uses her world travels as inspiration to create delicious international dishes. She whipped up an authentic Indian dish of Chickpea Curry and Roti. For more information you can visit online at www.savvyandwell.com.
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
2 onions, peeled and rough chopped
3-4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
2 green chilies (seeds removed if you don’t want it spicy)
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
2 tomatoes, blanched and mashed or blended
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons garam masala
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
2 cups of water (or as needed)
2 cups of mushrooms, chopped
2 cups of spinach
1 tablespoon each harissa olive oil and blood orange oil
Top with feta cheese and cilantro
- For the sauce, boil onions in a pot of water for 5 minutes. Strain and blend with garlic and ginger to make a paste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepot and add the mustard seeds, when they start to pop sauté the onion-garlic-ginger paste until it lightly browns, add the green chilies and cilantro and stir.
- Add tomato paste, salt and sauté until the oil starts to separate. Add all the spices, chickpeas, 1 cup of water and cook covered for 1 hour or until the chickpeas are tender. Add water if it gets too thick. (can be done in a pressure cooker)
- Mash up or blend a third of the chickpea mixture and add back to the sauce. This makes the dish nice and creamy. Serve with basmati rice and Roti.
Indian “Tortilla” made with wheat flour and chickpea flour (gram flour)
1 cup gram flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon fenugreek powder
1/4 onion, chopped fine
1 teaspoon mango powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon mint, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon salt
Butter olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients except oil and form a dough adding water if necessary. Cover for 10 minutes before rolling out.
- Roll into rotis (tortillas) and cook on both sides on a cast iron skillet using oil. When finished smear with butter olive oil (vegan and dairy free option instead of butter).