Father who disappeared at Bronco’s game found safe, days later

Posted at 9:13 PM, Oct 28, 2014
and last updated 2014-10-28 23:03:39-04

Paul Kitterman, a Denver Broncos fan who disappeared during a game five days ago, has been found and is safe, the Denver Police Department tweeted Tuesday night. Kitterman was located some 112 miles away in Pueblo, Colorado.

[Previous story, posted at 8:13 p.m. ET]

(CNN) — Authorities are treating the disappearance of a 53-year-old Denver Broncos fan from a game last week as an “active missing person’s investigation,” and while foul play isn’t evident, nothing’s been ruled out, Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said Tuesday.

Investigators have been reviewing hundreds of hours of surveillance footage from Sports Authority Field at Mile High, but so far, haven’t been able to locate Paul Kitterman, though a witness remembers seeing him in the stadium during the third quarter, Jackson said.

“We don’t know if he voluntarily walked away,” he said. “We don’t specifically see any foul play … but the fact is we are not ruling anything out.”

Paul Kitterman

Paul Kitterman

Earlier Tuesday, the department tweeted an alert saying officers were investigating a death near Sports Authority Field, but the male victim was not believed to be Kitterman.

Broncos spokesman Patrick Smyth referred CNN’s questions to the police department and said the team is cooperating with police.

“We can’t confirm we have handed anything over … but all the resources we have, whether that’s surveillance or incident logs or anything, we will give them,” Smyth said. “If they asked for anything, we’ll give it to them.”

Tia Bakke, who gave Kitterman and his stepson, Jarod Tonneson, their tickets to the game and rode with the pair on the two-hour drive from Kremmling, said this type of behavior is not customary of Kitterman. He was not intoxicated, and he had no mental health issues, she said.

What’s more, he had plans this week — to do some construction work and to go hunting.

“Paul did not just walk away on his own,” she said. “Something bad has happened to him.”

Police have told Bakke they believe Kitterman simply walked away, she said, and because he’s an adult, it’s not a crime.

Vanishing act

When last they spoke, Kitterman and Tonneson agreed to meet Bakke and her friend at Gate 8 after the game, but he never showed.

Tonneson went into a bathroom during the Thursday Night Football game, while his stepdad waited outside. When Tonneson came out, Kitterman wasn’t there.

Tonneson went back to their seats.

No sign of him.

He checked with Bakke. There was more room in their section and perhaps Kitterman, who was attending his first game, would be there.

No sign of him.

There was no cell phone to call. Kitterman, 53, doesn’t care for them.

Bakke and Tonneson went to Gate 8, where they were supposed to meet after the game.

No sign of him.

“He wouldn’t leave Jarod for all the money in the world,” Bakke said Monday. “He had plans the next day. He had things he wanted to do.”

According to CNN affiliate KUSA-TV, Kitterman didn’t care for credit cards and was carrying about $50 in cash.

“Paul is the best guy you could ask for. They don’t make them like Paul anymore,” said Bakke, who met Kitterman through her boyfriend, who has known the missing man for a decade.

If Kitterman ever needed time to himself, he would take a horse ride and tell people where he was going, Bakke said. He’s even gone camping to get away in the past — but, again, he told his family and friends where he was going, she said.

Read more on 

CNN’s Amanda Watts and Eliott C. McLaughlin contributed to this report.