RICHMOND, Va. - There are few things cooler than ice cream in the summer, but for some, the ingredients in ice cream create not-so-cool challenges. Today, guest co-host Andrias White Murdaugh steps into the kitchen with Renee Wellenstein, double board-certified physician, gut health specialist and coach to make ‘nice’ cream! Nice cream uses common ingredients to unnoticeably replace sugar, dairy and even chocolate. Summer’s coolest treat becomes summer’s nicest treat! To learn more about Renee Wellenstein, click here to visit her website.
Banana & Almond Butter “Nice Cream” with Cocoa Nibs
- 4–5 frozen bananas, sliced
- 4 Tbls almond butter
- ¼ Optional mix-ins: Cocoa Nibs
- In a blender or food processor, blend bananas slices until smooth
- Once at the consistency of soft serve, add with four tablespoons of no-sugar-added almond butter until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a container and fold in your desired amount of cocoa nibs.
- Place this in the freezer for 8-12 hours, and enjoy!
Benefits: Bananas contain a high amount of Vitamin B6, which is essential in producing the happy chemical, serotonin. They are also a rich source of magnesium, which helps to boost serotonin levels, making them an excellent food in managing anxiety and depression.
Almond butter is exceptional for gut health. Almond butter is rich in fiber, which feeds the good bacteria in the gut, increasing its count. This good gut bacteria also helps produce serotonin, which enhances mood. Similarly, magnesium-rich cocoa nib nourishes the good bacteria in the gut, which also increases levels of serotonin and fiber.