RICHMOND, Va. -- Celebrate St. Patrick’s day with this classic recipe! Mary Rapoport of the Virginia Egg Council is here with a delicious St. Patrick’s Day recipe, St. Paddy’s Day Pub Eggs. For more information and recipes, visit the Virginia Egg Council website.
1 cup panko crumbs
¾ cup packed, fresh spinach
¼ cup chopped green onion*
1 lb. ground turkey** or pork sausage
6 large hard-boiled eggs,*** peeled
1 egg, beaten
½ cup yellow mustard (for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine panko, spinach and green onion in a food processor and pulse until chopped and evenly colored. Set 2 T. mixture aside.
- Divide sausage into six portions. Completely enclose one egg in each sausage portion.
- Roll each sausage covered egg in beaten egg, then in the panko/spinach crumb mixture.
- Place all on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Check for ‘cracks’ in the sausage, using reserved panko mixture to repair cracks in coating. Turn; lower heat to 375°F and bake an additional 10 minutes; turn and bake another 10 min. or until sausage is cooked through.
- Serve with mustard as a dipping sauce.
Makes 12 half egg portions
*Use less onion if you aren’t a fan of onion
**In testing, we found turkey sausage to be more moist, so we dabbed on a bit of flour before dipping the sausage covered egg in beaten egg and panko.
To hard boil eggs the new way: Place 1” water in saucepan. Place steamer basket in it and bring water to a boil. Place eggs in basket; lower heat to just a simmer; cover;
cook large eggs about 10 min. Place eggs in a bowl of ice water, cracking them all over.
Let sit for 20 min. and easily peel.