RICHMOND, Va. - Juicy watermelon, crisp cucumber and refreshing wines are the mark of summer. Chef Paul Kostandin of Fancy Boy Food Co. teaches us how to blend these ingredients to create a salad that is sure to keep us wanting more. Click here to visit the Fancy Boy Food Co. website.
Watermelon and Cucumber Salad with Wine Poached Shrimp
Serves: 3-4 hungry people
For the Salad
• 2 cups of large diced watermelon
• 1 cucumber, cut in half and then sliced on a bias
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 sprig of mint, torn roughly
• 1/4 cup of olive oil
• 1 tablespoon of honey
• Salt and Pepper
• Wine poached shrimp
• 1/2 cup of crumbled feta
• 1/4 cup of toasted almonds For the Shrimp
• 2 cups of peeled, deveined, shrimp
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup white wine
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
1. In a sauce pot combine the water, wine, lemon zest, salt and red pepper flake.
2. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat.
3. Add the shrimp and simmer gently for 2 minutes, remove the stove and allow them to cool.
4. In a separate bowl combine the watermelon, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, olive oil and honey to create your salad, mix well.
5. Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste
6. Top the salad with the wine poached shrimp, then the feta and finally the toasted almonds.