NewsLocal News


Man released from jail days before allegedly shooting Chesterfield police officer

Posted at 5:59 PM, May 29, 2020
and last updated 2020-05-29 18:18:00-04

RICHMOND, Va. -- A Richmond man was released from jail just days before he is accused of shooting a Chesterfield County officer. And CBS 6 discovered he has a long history of violence.

Lynell Alexander Jr. was arrested and charged Thursday with attempted capital murder, malicious wounding, and several other charges after police say he shot an officer in the leg during a traffic stop Wednesday night.

Dinwiddie County’s top prosecutor, Ann Baskervill, used to work in Richmond. She vividly remembers prosecuting a 2009 case where a 76-year-old woman was attacked outside of a grocery store in Shockoe Bottom by a Broad Rock Boys gang member.

"It's one of those cases you carry in your soul," said Baskervill.

"She had groceries in one hand and her purse in the other and along comes Lynell Alexander who snatches her purse with force that knocks her to the ground. She had injuries at an age where it's harder to bounce back."

The attack left the elderly woman bloody and with broken bones.

Alexander was sentenced to seven years in prison in the robbery case.

A decade later, Alexander is in trouble with the law again.

The now 33-year-old is accused of shooting a Chesterfield police officer in the leg as officers responded to a shooting call on Remuda Lane.

"Police responding a shooting and then the shooting ensued right after that. So ballistic experts can match up those cartridge cases, there’s very identical markings put on those cartridge cases by the firing pin," said CBS 6 legal expert Todd Stone.

Crime insider sources tell Jon Burkett that Alexander had been in jail for a probation violation, but was released from Henrico jail Sunday, May 24.

The release came after he was granted a $1,500 secured bond on April 15.

"The bond that he was released on will be revoked immediately and whoever posted that bond could be in jeopardy of losing the bond... of course the charges he has now most likely mean he won't be given another bond anytime soon," Stone explained.

Alexander was taken into custody Thursday with help from the US Marshals Fugitive Task Force.

If he's convicted, Baskervill expects alexander will face different consequences than last time.

"My victim was so forgiving, compassionate and kind and wanted him to have another chance and she didn't want me to pursuit the sentence I was inclined to do," said Baskervill.

On the attempted capital murder charge alone, Alexander faces 20 years to life in prison, if convicted.