Smoking in bed sparked Chesterfield house fire that killed six people

Posted at 12:35 PM, May 10, 2021
and last updated 2021-05-10 12:36:01-04

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. -- Smoking in bed was determined to be the cause of an April fire that killed six people, including four children, in Chesterfield County.

Linda Carlton, 70, is the sixth and final fire victim to be identified by Chesterfield Fire officials.

"The Chesterfield Fire Marshal’s Office in conjunction with Chesterfield Police Detectives have determined the cause of the fire to be smoking-related which originated in the bed of Mrs. Carlton," Chesterfield Fire and EMS Lt. Kenny Mitchell wrote in an email. "Nationally and locally, smoking-related incidents continue to be the highest cause of home fire deaths."

Officials described the Glass Road house fire victims as part of a blended family. Others killed in the fire included:

  • Corrine Wright, 30, female
  • Aubrey Wright, 12, female
  • Aniyah Seaborne, 8, female
  • Juliane Seaborne, 5, male
  • Ariabella Seaborne, 2, female

The home did have working smoke detectors, fire officials confirmed.

The CBS 6 Problem Solvers are Working For You.

Contact the CBS 6 Problem Solvers

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.