NewsCoronavirusVirginia Together


Virginia Beach couple dons masks, ties knot at local courthouse

Posted at 4:27 PM, Apr 10, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-10 16:27:06-04

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va.-- When a Virginia Beach couple's dream wedding plans were canceled by COVID-19, they followed their hearts to the courthouse with silicone rings in tow and tied the knot on the spot.

Alexa Provost and Drew Faithful got enaged on Valentines Day 2019 after only knowing each other for 1 year.

"We fell in love immediately and knew pretty early on that we had both found what we had been searching for. We spent a good portion of that year planning a wedding for the following April," Alexa wrote. "Our wedding was centered around our closest friends and family as family is the most important thing to both Drew and myself."

Alexa said that they hadn't heard much about Coronavirus until February of 2020 and proceeded with planning, mailing out RSVPS, and solidifying final details for their big day in April.

"As the virus continued to spread, and the numbers continued to grow, we became increasingly concerned, yet remained hopeful. Then finally by late March, the Governor’s “stay at home order” extending through June 10th forced us to face our “worst case scenario” of having to call the wedding off until some point in the future," Alexa wrote. "Needless to say, I was devastated. I basically watched a year of planning what was supposed to be the happiest day of my life evaporate within a matter of a couple days."

But the determined couple started searching for solutions and worked to brainstorm ways that they could find a way to make the wedding happen.

"We immediately started searching for solutions and “plan B’s”. We knew it was important to follow the State’s requirements and parameters for social distancing, but desperately wanted to figure out a way to still make our wedding happen," Alexa wrote. "But as much as I wanted our wedding to involve our precious family, I had to remember that several of our family members are immune compromised. We knew we couldn’t risk exposing them for the sake of our own plans and wishes."

Alexa said that she eventually “gave up”, and accepted that we would just have to go back to the drawing board and recreate their dream wedding in the fall.

But on Thursday April 10, something inside of both her and her fiance shifted.

"We looked at each other and said “why don’t we just do it?” It was like lightbulbs went off for both of us," Alexa wrote. "We both just started laughing and said “Let’s get married today.”

The couple then called the court house to arrange a commissioner and then phoned their family members to let them that the wedding was happening immediately.

"I dug through our closet to find a dress I had bought the season before that still had the tags on it, and Drew found a tie that he forgot he had, which ironically matched the sundress I chose," Alexa wrote.

Meanwhile, Drew donned a mask and ran to Walmart to pick up silicone rings - the only ones they had in stock.

Two hours later, the couple stood in front of the courthouse with a masked commissioner leading our vows.

"Tears streamed down both of our faces as we both said “I do," Alexa wrote. "It was honestly one of the happiest moments of my life, even though it was absolutely nothing like I ever imagined."

"Our day turned out exactly the way it was always supposed to all along. Love always wins."