RICHMOND, Va. -- Dominion Energy is working to restore power after more than 160,000 lost electricity following storms and strong winds across Central Virginia.
As of Friday night, Dominion had restored power to more than 80% of the 165,000 customers impacted.
They provided the following updates for the remaining 28,000 customers:
- Customers in our Northwest region will be restored by 11:00 PM.
- Customers in our Eastern region will be restored by 11:00 PM Saturday.
- The vast majority of customers in our Richmond Metro and surrounding areas will be restored by 11:00 PM on Saturday.
- Estimated restoration times will be populated on all projects beginning this evening and into Saturday morning.
- More than 165,000 Dominion Energy customers lost power due to the windy conditions with gusts up to 60 miles per hour that blew across Virginia and North Carolina beginning Friday morning.
- As of about 5 PM, about 82% of those customers had power restored; just over 28,000 customers remain without power.
- Our restoration teams are out, working hard to make repairs and restore power as quickly and safely as they can. We appreciate our customers’ patience throughout the restoration process.
- When storms hit, our first priority is always the safety of our customers and employees.
- Beware of any lines that may have fallen or come into contact with trees, debris, or water. Assume they are energized and dangerous. Stay at least 30 feet away and make sure your family, pets, and neighbors also avoid the downed wire. Call Dominion Energy right away at 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357) to speak with an agent to report the downed wire.
- Recent rainfall has saturated the ground, which made trees more likely to uproot and topple into power lines when the high winds hit.
- Patrol teams are out in force assessing damage, and they have found downed wires, fallen trees, and broken utility poles.
- The rain and wind caused widespread outages across Virginia. We are moving crews from the less-impacted regions to support the hardest-hit areas, including parts of central Virginia.
- Be sure to report your outage to us right away to help with an efficient restoration. The quickest and easiest way is to report it is through the Dominion Energy outage reporting app or through dominionenergy.com using your mobile device. You can also call us at 1-866-DOM-HELP.