92-year-old man, dogs escape Richmond house fire

Posted at 5:37 AM, May 07, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-07 12:48:13-04

RICHMOND, Va. -- A 92-year-old man, his roommate, and two dogs escaped unharmed after their Richmond home caught fire early Monday morning.

Firefighters were called to the home on N. 22nd Street, near the Peter Paul Development Center, just after 4 a.m. Monday.

The men were sitting at the kitchen table downstairs when firefighters arrived to tell them the upstairs was on fire and they had to get out, fire officials on scene said.

Flames were seen shooting from the roof of the house as firefighters worked to extinguish the fire.

After an initial investigation, the fire did not appear suspicious.

Frank Black, who said he lived at the home for a majority of his life, described the homeowner as a good man.

"He’s lived here all of his life and owns the house," Black said. "He's helped everyone he possibly could help. Just a spry old guy."

Black was told by firefighters that the flames were believed to be sparked by an electrical issue.

"This is all sort of a saddening thing. But, god is always there. I'm just glad everyone got out safe," he described.

The Red Cross assisted the victims who were displaced.

This is a developing story.



Watch 'The Jennifer Hudson Show' weekdays at 3 p.m. on CBS 6!

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.