NewsLocal News


Crews battle fire and ice at Henrico home

Posted at 6:16 AM, Jan 08, 2017
and last updated 2017-01-08 11:39:04-05

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. — Henrico County firefighters battled subfreezing temperatures and flames late Saturday night when crews were called to a house fire along the 8400 block of Chamberlayne Road.

Two adults and two teenagers inside the burning home made it out alive. They were asleep and alerted to the fire by working smoke alarms.

The weather made fighting the fire difficult, according to a Henrico Fire spokesman. Capt. Taylor Goodman sent pictures that showed how water used to put out the fire quickly froze to surfaces, including the firefighters themselves.

Ice freezing to Henrico Firefighters' uniforms

Ice freezing to Henrico Firefighters’ uniforms

Henrico Firefighters battle fire and slick surfaces

Henrico Firefighters battle fire and slick surfaces

Investigators have determined that the fire was accidental in nature as a result of the improper disposal of fireplace ashes. Goodman said that dangerously low temperatures, iced over equipment and a heavy load of fire in the attic contributed to extended operations.

Companies are now clearing the scene after being there for nearly 11 hours.