RICHMOND, Va. - Culinary Expert Gabrielle Tenney, Owner of Savvy & Well with Gabrielle travels around the world and gets inspired to create wonderful recipes. Gabrielle made a return visit to the Virgnia joined us in the kitchen to share a Mediterranean favorite with us that she picked up on her latest adventure, Greek Shrimp. For more information you can visit online at www.savvyandwell.com.
12 medium shrimp (about 3/4 pound)
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/2 small onion, chopped small
1/2 jalapeño, seeds removed and chopped small
1 green onion, sliced thinly (green part reserved for garnish)
2 medium garlic cloves, chopped fine
1/4 cup Greek ouzo liquor
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
4oz feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
2 slices of fresh baguette or pita bread
Serve with a side salad if desired
1. Prepare the sauce by placing a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, allow it to get hot and then add the onion. Cook the onion for about 5-8 minutes or until it starts to brown, then add the garlic, green onion and jalapeño. Cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Optional step- add the shrimp shells to the pot and let cook until the shells turn pink, remove them before adding the tomatoes.
Add the can of crushed tomatoes and cook for about 10-20 minutes over medium heat until thick. Season with salt and pepper, easy on the salt since the feta is salty.
3. While the sauce is cooking clean the shrimp by using scissors to cut through the shell down to the tail. Rinse under a slow stream of cold water to remove the vein and shell.
4. When the sauce is about ready place a saute pan over medium high heat. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to the pan, coat the pan evenly and add the shrimp that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Once seared on one side, flip them with tongs and add the ouzo, cook for 2 minutes and then add the tomato sauce. Cook for another minute to let the flavors come together.
5. Finish with feta, parsley and green onion.
(optional) Serve with a side salad and pita bread if desired.