NewsLocal News


Father who allegedly stabbed daughter’s boyfriend shot, killed by officer

Posted at 5:19 PM, Mar 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-21 14:49:17-04

HOPEWELL, Va. -- Police have released the name of the man shot and killed by an officer in Hopewell Sunday afternoon after he allegedly used a butcher knife to stab a man.

Police were dispatched to the Twin Rivers apartment complex in the 600 block of Winston Churchill Drive just after 3:35 p.m. for a domestic call.

Hopewell Police Deputy Chief Robert Skowron said the incident started when a man came to the apartment complex to stab his daughter's boyfriend.

When the first officer arrived on the scene, Skowron said he confronted 61-year-old Boyd Keith Ballard of Hopewell, who was carrying at least two large butcher knives, in the parking lot.

Hopewell Police Chief John F. Keohane said the officer told Ballard several times to stop and drop the knife, but Ballard advanced on the officer with the knives.

"As he was giving very good commands in reference to, "Drop the knife, drop the knife, drop the knife. I don't want to shoot you,'" Keohane said. "The suspect kept saying,  'Shoot me. Shoot me.'"

Chief Keohane said the officer then fired one shot, striking Ballard in the abdomen.

"Responding officers then rendered medical aid to the offender until such time as EMS arrived," Hopewell Police Captain Mike Whittington said in a news release. "The offender was subsequently transported to John Randolph Hospital where he ultimately succumbed to his injuries."

READ MORE: Son says he knows why father wanted police to kill him

The stabbing victim was transported to VCU Medical Center with what were called severe injuries. He underwent surgery Sunday night.

The Investigation 

Chief Keohane said the officer was wearing a body camera during the incident. The department has reviewed the footage, which will be part of Virginia State Police's investigation.


Timothy Barbour was grilling outside his townhouse when he witnessed the officer shoot the suspect.

"I saw him back up like three times and then he raised his weapon and shot one shot,” Barbour said. “And that was it.  I went back inside and shut the door."

“The first thing I thought about was my kids,” he said.

Barbour said he planned to visit the complex’s leasing office soon.

“A lot of people will probably be knocking on the door in the morning trying to relocate after this,” he said. “With my little girl, I can't.”

Stay with and watch CBS 6 News for updates on this developing story.