ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. -- The bodies of two children have been recovered from the charred remains of a home that went up in flames in Roanoke Count early Saturday morning.
Fire crews were called to a two-story home in the 7600 block of Mt. Chestnut Road around 1:15 a.m., WDBJF reported.
When freighters arrived, they found the home completely engulfed in flames. The fire had also spread to a wooded area around the home.
Officials said a family of four lived in the home and that another family of four was visiting from out-of-town. All of the visiting family managed to escape. Four adults and two children were transported to an area hospital.
However, two children were missing.
Firefighters went inside to try to search for the boys, but they had to retreat because of dangerous conditions. Shortly after they came out, officials said a portion of the house collapsed.
While crews were digging through debris Saturday afternoon, they discovered the remains of two children, which were taken to the Medical Examiner's Office for identification.
Family friends said the home belongs to Thomas and Lindsay McKinnon. Alan and Viktoria Hassall said the couple's two children, Logan and Patrick McKinnon, died in the blaze.
Viktoria Hassall said she ran to the family’s home early Saturday morning and talked to the boys' mother.
“And I said, ‘Where are the boys?” Hassall asked. “And she said, ‘They’re in there.’ And she pointed to the house and it was completely up in flames.”
Viktoria Hassall said she is still coming to grips with the tragedy.
“It seems surreal. It seems unfair," Viktoria Hassall said. "They were beautiful boys.”
Alan Hassall said they boys' parents "are living every parent’s worst nightmare.”
Saturday afternoon, the headmaster of North Cross confirmed the children attended the school.
Logan, 5, was in kindergarten and Patrick, 10, was in the fourth grade.
Officials said grief counselors will be at the school Monday. Additionally, classes will begin 30 minutes late so teachers and counselors can meet before school.
"This morning we received the tragic news that two of our lower school students died in a house fire last night," a message on North Cross School's Facebook page read. "The students' parents survived the fire, along with four guests who were staying at their home."
One of the family's dogs escaped with family members. A second dog and cat were found outside after the fire and are being kept by a neighbor. Two other cats remain unaccounted for.
The house was deemed a total loss and the damage is estimated at $250,000.
Fire investigators are working to figure out what sparked the fire.