Watch out for mushrooms that can kill your dog

Posted at 9:11 AM, Jan 27, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-27 09:11:21-05

MARIN COUNTY, California -- Heavy rains in and around San Francisco have caused a variety of mushrooms to sprout in the Bay Area. Some of those mushrooms can harm, or even kill, dogs that ingest them. It was a lesson dog owner Pam Moe learned the hard way. Her six-month-old puppy died after eating a mushroom.

"It was horrible. I can't talk about it or I'll cry. It's been really difficult," she said.

Veterinarians around around San Francisco told KPIX they were seeing at least one dog a week for mushroom related illness.

"Dogs can get very sick," Lisa Bloch, with the Humane Society of Marin, said.  "Sometimes it's just vomiting, but other times it can lead to death. It's very, very tragic."

Not all the mushrooms will kill your dog. The mushroom types to keep an eye out for are:

  • The destroying angel
  • The death cap

Click here to see photos of the mushrooms.