NewsLocal News


Person of interest charged with first degree murder of grandmother

Posted at 10:41 PM, Jan 13, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-13 23:37:33-05

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- Police have charged Ricardo Green with first degree murder in the slaying of his 81-year-old grandmother, Bernice Pannell, on December 29.

Police said on January 6, 2016, Green was indicted on one count of first degree murder in the death of Pannell. He is also facing grand larceny and felony eluding charges.

Police have confirmed to CBS 6 Green had emergency protective order filed against him after being arrested for domestic assault on his grandmother on November 10, 2015. His grandmother did suffer injuries in the alleged assault.

Bertha Bernice Pannell

Bertha Bernice Pannell

December 29 incident

Pannell was found dead and bloody on the floor of the home, in the 3900 block of East Chatham in North Henrico. According to her family, she lived there with her grandson, Green.

Police said a vehicle driven by Green was spotted by Richmond Police officer.  Once Green saw the officer, he accelerated rapidly, which led to a police pursuit.

The vehicle crashed on Staples Mill Rd. near Thalbro St., where it left the roadway and struck a power pole. Green was transported to the hospital with injuries and remains there currently.

Criminal history

Court records show he's also had numerous other encounters with the law.

In 2001, he was sentenced to nine years on a malicious wounding charge. He stabbed his girlfriend in the neck with a screwdriver, according to court documents.

CBS 6 has obtained court documents from Green's conviction in that attack.

In her court testimony the victim stated:

"He started to hit me in my face with his fist.  And he just kept on hitting me. And he kept on hitting me in my face until I got numb and I couldn't feel him hitting me in my face anymore."

"He got the screwdriver...he poked me in my side first and he just stuck it in my neck while I was laying on the floor. He looked like he was looking for something else while the screwdriver was in my neck."

The victim says she eventually jumped out a window to escape.

That same year he was in court on charges for grand larceny and attempt to elude police.

Green also had a previous forgery charge on his record, for which he was given a two-year sentence.

In 2013, he was sentenced to seven months, with 9 years and five months suspended, for two drug charges – possession of schedule I or II and III drugs.