NewsNational News


Parents across the nation can’t handle hoverboards

Posted at 3:51 PM, Dec 28, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-28 15:51:49-05

Hoverboards were a best-seller over the holidays, despite fire warnings and the possibility of injury.

The gifts were mostly for kids but some parents wanted to try them out and the results could be funny but also painful.

Social media sites are full of  parents attempting to take their kid's hoverboards out for a joy ride, only to find themselves cruisin for a brusin'.

The hashtag "hoverboard fails" has gone viral.

Florida congressman Carlos Curbelo shared a photo of his arm in a sling tweeting: “#hoverboard is for kids. My daughter got it. I ended up in ER.”

Just before Christmas, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that the number of injuries associated with hoverboards and fires due to overheated batteries had spiked 25%.

That total is only expected to rise dramatically in the post-holiday tally, and some safety experts are worried.

“You have a product that doesn't have to meet any safety requirements and is finding its way to the U.S. market,” said Sean Kane, Founder of the Safety Institute.

The lesson for this holiday season could be that something which seems like child's play is probably best left to actual children.