RICHMOND, Va - Culinary Expert Gabrielle Tenney, Owner of Savvy & Well, shared her tasty recipe for Mexican Chocolate Pumpkin Pie. High School Juniors and Seniors can submit a recipe to enter the Church Hill Cook Off Event for chance to win cash, cooking classes, and other great prizes. For more information visit online at www.facebook.com/churchhillfoodheritage.
- 1 1/2 cups almonds
- 1¼ cup flour (or can be made gluten free with all almond flour)
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon clove
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed (To make vegan: 6 tablespoons butter olive oil or coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon chia soaked in ¼ cup water
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Roast almonds in the oven until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Grind the nuts in a food processor or blender with half of the flour then add the rest and all other ingredients. Knead until it all comes together into a ball.
- Chill two balls of dough in refrigerator until firm one larger than the other
- The larger one should be pressed into your buttered pan and then spread a layer of jam and refrigerate.
- Roll out the smaller ball of dough between two sheets of plastic wrap and then cut into strips, refrigerate or freeze a few minutes before transferring the strips to create a lattice on the tart.
- Press leftover scraps along the edge of the tart and press to create a seal.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2 cups pumpkin, fresh roasted or can
1 bar Mexican chocolate Abuelita or Ibarra (find it in Kroger international section)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground chia seeds soaked in 1/4 cup water (optional)
- If using fresh pumpkin, cut into quarters, place on a pan and cover with foil. Roast in a 350 F oven for 25-35 minutes or until soft. When cool enough to handle scoop the pulp and place into a bowl.
- Place the pumpkin pulp in the blender and blend with all other ingredients until smooth. Pour into your crust and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 F or until the edges of the pie are browning and the filling has set.