Dripping candle sparks Henrico house fire

Posted at 12:54 AM, Nov 11, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-11 08:18:18-05

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- A burning candle sparked a house fire along the 4900 block of Wythe Avenue, off Monument Avenue, in Henrico Tuesday night. Fire officials said Henrico Fire crews were on scene in six minutes after the fire was reported at about 11:25 p.m.

"First arriving units reported smoke coming from the two story house. Inside units found a small fire in the second-story bedroom. A quick knockdown was made on the fire and the situation was marked under control shortly after," Henrico Fire spokesman Capt. Daniel Rosenbaum said. "The family of three was downstairs at the time of the fire and was alerted to it by a working smoke alarm. They were all able to exit the home and call the fire department."

There were no injuries reported due to the fire. The American Red Cross has been called to assist the family.

"The burning candle dripped down and caught a nearby basket of clothes on fire," Rosenbaum added.

Fire officials gave these tips when using open flame candles:

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  •  Light candles carefully, keeping any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Put the candle out before it burns too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
The CBS 6 Problem Solvers are Working For You.

Contact the CBS 6 Problem Solvers

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.