News

Actions

Pizza box blamed for small fire in Richmond high-rise

Default-Image_1280x720.jpg
Posted at 7:45 AM, Aug 14, 2015
and last updated 2015-08-14 08:00:27-04

RICHMOND, Va -- Fire crews were on scene of a fire in an apartment building near VCU's campus Friday morning.

Five fire engines responded to the Monroe Park Towers on West Franklin Street and North Belvidere Street just before 4:00 Friday morning. When they arrived, they found a pizza box had been burning in a stairwell of the apartment building's 14th floor.

By the time they discovered it, though, the box had already burned itself out. Firefighters ventilated the smoke and cleared the scene by 4:30 a.m.

The incident came on the morning of the first day of VCU move-in. The building is popular among college students: many live there, but it is not affiliated with the university.

Since the incident happened in a high-rise, firefighters were not able to use the elevators and had to climb 14 flights of stairs to discover the debris.