NewsLocal News


Horrific crash injures sheriff’s deputies in pursuit of suspect 

Posted at 7:22 AM, May 21, 2015
and last updated 2015-05-21 07:52:59-04

CHARLES CITY COUNTY, Va. -- Two sheriff's deputies were listed in stable condition at VCU Medical Center Thursday morning, one day after they were involved in a horrific crash on Route 5, near Glebe Lane, in Charles City County. The deputies crashed into each other while in pursuit of a suspect Wednesday afternoon. Video of the crash was captured on a gas station security camera.

"A 2011 Dodge Charger, belonging to the Charles City County Sheriff’s Office, was westbound on Route 5 with its emergency equipment activated. A 2005 Crown Victoria, also belonging to the Charles City County Sheriff’s Office, pulled out from a service station with its emergency equipment activated and the two vehicles collided on Route 5," Virginia State Police spokesperson Sgt. Steve Vick said. "The impact of the crash forced the Charger off the right side of the road where it struck a 2012 Genesis that had pulled off the road to yield to the oncoming police vehicles. The Charger then overturned and came to rest partially in the roadway."

Charles City crash 04

The incident started when Charles City County Sheriff's Capt. Jason Crawley pulled over an SUV along Route 5. When Crawley got out of his unmarked Dodge Charger, the suspect vehicle took off, according to Charles City County Sheriff Javier Smith. Crawley pursued the suspect, east on Route 5. Crawley was joined on the pursuit at Glebe Lane by Detective Charlie Hargis, who was driving the Crown Victoria. That’s where officials said that the unmarked cruisers collided.

The SUV involved in the pursuit kept going, but eventually crashed into a guard rail on Route 5. The driver jumped out of the vehicle and ran into the woods.

Charles City crash 03

While the injured deputies were flown to VCU Medical Center, law enforcement searched the woods near the crash scene for the suspect. The suspect, whose name has not yet been released, was eventually captured by a farmer who held the suspect captive until law enforcement arrived.

"I got what I needed in my hand to feel safe about it," farmer Richard Nice said. "I just told him, best sit down on the ground and wait till the law gets here."

Richard Nice

Richard Nice

The suspect, who was known the law enforcement sources said, was wearing only underwear when he was captured.

"He didn't look too great after coming through the woods. He looked a little dirty and rough looking," Nice said. "There was no doubt in my mind that he was the guy."

The suspect was booked into Riverside Regional Jail.