RICHMOND, Va. -- Thirteen people in Richmond have been taken to the hospital over the last few weeks after ingesting contaminated heroin according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
CBS 6 learned that the heroin was mixed with a veterinary drug and reports say some people who took it needed treatment in cardiac intensive care units.
It is not uncommon for drug sellers to add things such as caffeine, sugar or other dangerous substances to pure heroin to increase the quantity and profits.
The most recent case of the contaminated drug was reported on March 30.
State health leaders tell us that the investigation is limited to the Richmond area.