Car window shattered when snow from VDOT plow was pushed off overpass

Posted at 7:45 PM, Feb 27, 2015
and last updated 2015-02-27 19:45:41-05

RICHMOND, Va. – What steps can a driver take if their car or property is damaged by a Virginia Department of Transportation vehicle?

CBS 6 Sports Director Lane Casadonte was traveling down Interstate 295 in Hanover during a recent snow storm. Just as he crossed under Route 301 a VDOT plow was pushing snow on the route.

“I’m under the bridge and a snow plow comes over top on 301 and whatever it was plowing went over the side and fell down onto my car,”
he said. “It shattered the windshield in the top left and corner.”

He pulled over to make sure nothing else was wrong with the car. Next, he filed a claim with VDOT for the damage to his car.

Agency spokesperson Lindsay LeGrand said if something like this happens to your car or property, it’s best to contact them right away.

“We ask folks to do so by filling out a claim form online or calling our customer service center at 1-800-FOR-ROAD," LeGrand said.

She said it’s important to document the damage and provide as many details as possible. That helps them find out what happened and who was there.

“We determine if it was our truck or if it was a contractor's truck,”LeGrand said. “If it’s a contractor’s truck then we refer it to them because they process their own claims," LeGrand explained.

To fill out the information online, she says a person would need to go to VDOT’s website and click on report a road problem.