News

Actions

Toddler killed by falling television, in front of sister

Posted at 5:49 PM, Dec 15, 2014
and last updated 2014-12-15 18:24:59-05

RICHMOND, Va. -- A toddler is dead after a television and a piece furniture fell on the child.

Police said the incident happened Saturday morning at a home in the 2100 block of Creighton Road.

The child, Christopher Henderson, would have turned two on Dec. 19.

According to his parents, he was in his room with his older sister when he tried climbing his dresser. That's when the 32-inch box television that was sitting on top fell over on top of him.

He was pronounced brain dead at the hospital and passed away on Sunday.

His mother and father said they are devastated.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said one child dies every two weeks from furniture that tips over. The federal safety organization also said that tip overs like this send nearly 22,000 children to the emergency room every year.

The group recommended using anchors to secure televisions, heavy electronics and furniture, anything that could topple and harm a small child.

Christopher's family has setup a GO FUND ME account to help pay for his funeral expenses.