NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — Bill Cosby has kept quiet as sexual assault allegations mounted against him, but on Monday, his wife, Camille, finally spoke out in defense of her husband.
“He is a kind man, a generous man, a funny man,” Mrs. Cosby said in a statement to the CBS Evening News. “A different man has been portrayed in the media over the last two months. It is the portrait of a man I do not know.”
In her statement, Mrs. Cosby mentions Rolling Stone’s reexamined story of rape at the University of Virginia and compares her husband’s current crisis to the one going on at Rolling Stone.
“The story was heart-breaking, but ultimately appears to be proved to be untrue,” Mrs. Cosby said, referring to the magazine’s story. “Many in the media were quick to link that story to stories about my husband — until that story unwound.”
Over the last month, many women have come forward to accuse Cosby of past sexual assault, a crime the star has never been officially charged with.
However, the accusations have caused Cosby’s public persona to be damaged resulting in lost projects and tour dates.
Mrs. Cosby’s statement comes just days after Bill Cosby himself broke his silence to Stacy Brown, a freelance reporter at the New York Post.
On Monday, Mrs. Cosby’s statement asked the public to think about who could be the true victim of these allegations.
“None of us will ever want to be in the position of attacking a victim,” she wrote. “But the question should be asked — who is the victim?”