SCHERERVILLE, Ind. – Over 130 children called out sick Tuesday at a school in Indiana because of a viral infection.
Extra cleaning crews were brought in overnight to disinfect classrooms at Peifer Elementary School.
The viral infection impacted more than 25 percent of the student body.
School officials thought something from the school’s cafeteria made the kids sick, but records show that a majority of them did not eat at school the day before. The Lake County school district still decided not to serve milk to its 10 schools as a precaution.
According to WGN, the outbreak could be from the Norovirus, a disease that causes stomach inflammation, vomiting and diarrhea.
The school sent a letter to parents urging students with the symptoms to stay home an extra day.