Man found guilty in Chesterfield crash that pinned man’s legs

Posted at 7:53 PM, Jun 12, 2014
and last updated 2014-06-12 20:00:28-04

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. -- The man who caused a Chesterfield wreck that severely injured a Good Samaritan was found guilty Thursday.

The judge convicted Horace Loving of driving too fast over icy roads in the accident along the bridge over the Midlothian Turnpike that changed  Brad Hughes' life forever.

"He's in medical rehabilitation and he has a long way to go. Hopefully, he'll recover as much as possible,” Jeff Oppleman, Brad Hughes' attorney, told CBS 6 reporter Sandra Jones.

The amputee testified in court that he used his position as a Conservator of the Peace to help officers dealing with accidents caused by icy roads back in March.

Hughes testified he parked his SUV and put on his flashing lights. He told the judge that as he walked around his vehicle to get a safety jacket, heard the sound of a vehicle speed up. That’s when a man driving a pick-up truck slammed into him.

At one point, Hughes was pinned between both vehicles and his legs were severely injured.

Police said the driver of the truck was going too fast.

But Horace Loving told the judge that when he saw the traffic, he slammed on his brakes, hit some black ice and swerved. He also testified that he was 20 feet away from Hughes before he even saw him.

Hughes' attorney said that the hearing brought back some painful memories.

"He was conscious of the fact that this was the man that hit him. He was conscious of the fact of what happened that night," Oppleman said. "I don't think that this gentleman made him a target or anything like that.”

And even though Horace Loving apologized to Hughes during the hearing, his attorney said it wasn't enough.

"It came from the gentleman. I think he felt obligated to say it and he said it. Brad accepted it, but it doesn't change anything,” Oppleman said.

Loving was sentenced to 90 days in jail with 82 days suspended. The judge also suspended his license for six months and ordered him to pay a $500 fine.

Hughes’ attorney said he could not say if his client will file a civil suit.