RICHMOND, Va. — Dominion Virginia Power expects to be operating at “maximum levels” early this week to meet the high demand of customers trying to stay warm.
The power company offered some tips to help you lower energy usage while still keeping a warm home.
- Set heating system thermostat to lowest temperature that leaves you comfortable. Dominion and the U.S. Department of Energy generally recommend 68 degrees. If you have a heat pump, it is important that you leave it on a constant setting for maximum energy savings.
- Turn off any unneeded lights.
- Delay using dishwashers, washing machines, clothes dryers and other large appliances until later in the evening.
- Keep the water heater set at 120 degrees. If your water heater is located in an unheated space, install an insulation wrap on the heater and adjacent pipes to prevent heat loss.
- Seal any areas where you feel cold air coming into the house, such as underneath and around exterior doors, windows and electric outlets.
- Close the flue to any fireplace that is not in use.