3 treated for injuries in Chesterfield apartment fire

Posted at 3:41 PM, Nov 22, 2013
and last updated 2013-11-22 23:45:05-05

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) -- Officials say a fire that broke out at an apartment complex along the 2700 block of Martingale Rd. in southern Chesterfield was caused when a child knocked over a lamp and some curtains caught fire.

Lt. Elmore told CBS 6 they received a call for fire in a basement floor apartment. When firefighters arrived there was heavy smoke coming out of the window around 3:20 p.m. Friday.

Firefighters had the fire, which impacted two apartments, under control in roughly 20 minutes but stayed on the scene to knock out hot spots and any hidden fire. Smoke could be seen coming from a large part of the building.

Lt. Elmore said two adults inside the apartment that caught fire were deaf, but that a hearing member of the family was present and that multiple people called 911.

CBS 6 spoke with the brother of Martell Waters. Waters is deaf and lived in the bottom apartment. His brother said Waters risked his own safety to help his family in the fire.

"He tried to put the fire out, and got his kids out. It was just a blessing," said Christian Collins.

Three people were treated for minor injuries.

The Red Cross is assisting the three adults and five children displaced by the fire.