News

Actions

Smoke fills halls of Richmond assisted living home

Default-Image_1280x720.jpg
Posted at 1:48 PM, Jul 11, 2013
and last updated 2013-07-11 13:48:44-04

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) - A malfunctioning hot water heater caused smoke to roll through the halls of the Chesterfield Square assisted living home on Hioaks Rd. in Richmond Thursday morning.

Residents were temporarily evacuated just before 9 a.m. while fire crews worked to get rid of the smoke that set off the alarm.

"It's really scary. This is my first time moved out 100 percent on my own and you wake up to a lot of sirens and you're not sure what it is. You know they do drills, but I wasn't here. So, you know it's really scary," Lawrence Osborne Jr. said.

A few people were taken to hospital and treated for respiratory issues. Everyone else was eventually allowed back into their homes.