Shooting between Dinwiddie father and son leaves 1 dead

Posted at 2:16 PM, Jan 07, 2013
and last updated 2013-01-08 06:41:18-05

DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) - Two people were shot, one killed Monday afternoon in Dinwiddie County.

Dinwiddie deputies confirm they've been to the Blands’ home on several occasions, each time after a fight between father and son.

Monday afternoon a fight turned into a deadly shooting, leaving investigators trying to figure out who shot whom and a family grieving over a tragic death.

"We've been to the residence before," said Maj. William Knott, with the Dinwiddie Sheriff’s Department.  But investigators said even with a past of domestic disturbances here, no one could've predicted things would get to this point

A med-flight chopper rushed Herbert Bland, Jr. to VCU Medical Center after his father, Herbert, Sr. was found shot to death inside a home on Harris Drive.

“When we came to the house, one gentleman stumbled out with a gunshot wound and collapsed in the yard," said Knott.

It's a shooting that's rocked the rural Sutherland community, a place where the Bland family has lived for decades.

“It's so very sad," said neighbor Odessa Winfield.

Many Bland family members live next door or a few doors down from where the violence erupted Monday afternoon. 

“I know the father had concerns about his son,” said Winfield.  “I know he loved him and was trying to work with him."

Deputies still don't know what exactly fueled the violence and who shot whom is still unknown. “Investigators are still trying to put that piece of the puzzle together," said Knott.

"You just never think stuff like this will happen in your neighborhood,” said Winfield’s husband, Gene. “It's very unfortunate."

An unfortunate circumstance that will certainly haunt the Bland family as a father is dead and a son is in serious condition at VCU Medical Center.

“God knows all,” said Gene Winfield.   “He has all the control.  We just pray for peace for that family."

More than a dozen family members gathered next door to the Bland home, with many struggling to make sense of what happened Monday afternoon.