Family members of Muhammad Taib reflect on his life

Posted at 7:16 PM, Nov 25, 2012
and last updated 2012-11-26 06:36:26-05

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) - The family of the convenience store owner who was shot and killed inside his own store on Saturday is speaking out, while Richmond Police hope newly released surveillance video will help catch his killer.

Just after 11 a.m. on Saturday, police officers found 59-year-old Muhammed Taib behind the counter of the Food Mart Store he owned with a gunshot wound.  He was pronounced dead on the scene.

Investigators believe Taib was shot during a robbery attempt.

“He’s the most selfless guy I knew.  If he could help anyone, he would do it,” Sheroz Khan, Taib’s son, says while he chokes back tears.

Muhammed Taib had owned the Food Mart for 18 years, and it was the main source of income for his family of six.  Taib leaves behind a wife and five children, who range in age from 24 to 11.

“My little sister she can’t stop crying,” Khan says.  “She just keeps saying, ‘I want Dad!  I want Dad!’”

Taib immigrated to the United States from Pakistan in the 1980’s, worked as a sailor around the world, and drove a cab in New York City, all before moving his family to Richmond.

Richmond Police have released surveillance video that shows the parking lot behind the Food Mart just before the shooting.  Four people are shown, and investigators feel hope they have information that can assist with this case.

As of now, though, police have few leads into who killed Taib.

“I just the authorities to put their effort on this and make sure the poor people, like him [Taib], who’s a family man, who works hard for his family; they should not them be destroyed by the people like this,” Dr. Muhammed J. Khan, Taib’s cousin, says.

At Taib’s store Sunday afternoon, a makeshift memorial has been set up with balloons and Teddy Bears to honor the well loved store owner.

As for Sheroz Khan, his father’s legacy is memorial enough.

“I’ll never forget him, and I’ll tell my kids about him,” Khan says.  “He was just so loving; he loved me so much.”

The family is working on funeral arrangements at this time, but will have to wait until the medical examiner finishes the autopsy.  That is expected to be Monday at the earliest.

There are no suspect details at this time, and Richmond Police are working to develop leads on this case.  If you have any information that might help, call Crime Stoppers at 780-1000.

RELATED: Richmond police investigate homicide in Southside