NewsNational News


Seeing-eye dog saves owner during gas leak

Posted at 11:31 PM, Jul 26, 2012
and last updated 2012-07-26 23:31:01-04

A seeing-eye dog in Alabama, called Pooh, has been hailed as a hero for saving her owner's life.

"The house could have blew up. She saved my life,” Nancy Jones, the dog’s owner said. "The doctor says she'll make a full recovery." 

A burned eyes and throat, the aftermath of a gas leak, from an open pilot light in her owner's home.

Although there is a gas detector here, it was potential disaster that had gone undetected until Nancy Jones got a bit woozy while folding clothes Monday. 

The next thing I know Pooh was nudging me to put on her leash she went and got herself,” said Jones.

That might not seem like a big deal but Jones emphasized that "this took some extra work by Pooh”

Jones isn't quite sure how Pooh managed to get more than six feet up in the air to pull the leash down.

"Brought it to me, made me put it on her and literally drug me out the front door." 

Once outside Jones realized there was a gas leak inside the home and that her dog saved her life.  "It's... words can't describe, you really can't.”

Jones is legally blind and Pooh is her nearly three-and-a-half year old seeing eye dog. 

"I wouldn't dream of walking to town and hadn't for years until I got her." 

"You don't realize how important these dogs are to visually impaired or the deaf or people who have seizures,” said Kevyn Stewart.