SANFORD, Fl. (WTVR) Special prosecutor Angela Corey held a press conference to announce that George Zimmerman is in custody and has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of Trayvon Martin.
Trayvon Martin was a 17-year-old Floridian who was killed February 26 as he returned to his father’s fiancee’s house in Sanford after picking up candy and an iced tea at a nearby convenience store.
“We did not come to this decision lightly,” said Corey.
More than one month has passed since the shot fired from Zimmerman’s gun took the life of Martin. National attention to the case and the “Stand Your Ground Law” swelled and rallies were held daily.
“Let me emphasize that we do not prosecute by public pressure or petition,” said Corey. “We prosecute based on the facts of any given case, as well as the laws of Florida.”
Corey said that an intensive investigation was launched three weeks ago and it extended the work already done by Sanford police.
“We are equally committed to justice on their behalf as we are on our victim’s behalf,” said Corey.
“There is a reason that cases are tried in a court of law,” said Corey, “not in court of the public, and not in the media.”
He will have the right to appear to a magistrate in Seminole County, within 24 hours of his arrest and thus formal prosecution begins,” said Corey.
“Remember, it is Trayvon’s family that are our Constitutional victim’s and have the right to know the critical stages of these proceedings.”
Corey held a question and answer session with reporters following her announcement.
She confirmed he is in custody but would not say where, for his safety she said.
She said Zimmerman turned himself in on a capias that had been issued already. There is currently no bond set but that could change once Zimmerman goes before the magistrate, said Corey.
Mark O’Mara is representing Zimmerman.
Corey also defended the process emphasized that the procedures took the appropriate amount of time.
Listen to her answers below.