RICHMOND, Va (WTVR) – A red flag warning will be in effect from noon until 8pm. Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you travel today:
- Be aware of the other vehicles around you in high winds. This is especially true with RVs, campers, trucks, buses, or trailers being towed.
- Slow down the speed of your car to minimize the wind’s affect on your vehicle.
- Avoid parking near trees, downed power lines and buildings.
- The main factors that keep you on the road are the weight of your vehicle, so if you are driving a little city-car along the motorways in the high winds,you should be more carefully.
- Plan ahead. As you have to drive more slowly in high winds you should expect your journey to take longer than usual and therefore leave extra time. You definitely don’t want to be speeding to make up the time!
- Make steering corrections when driving from a protected to unprotected area. This is because the wind may move your car with a sudden force after being in the protected area.
- Lower your speed when driving next to larger vehicles such as trucks and buses. These vehicles can swing out and hit your car if the wind picks up suddenly.
- Listen to the radio for changes in weather conditions that could become more dangerous.